It is not too late! Orthodontic treatment is not just for teens. In fact, we're seeing that around 20% of patients seeking orthodontic treatment is over the age of 21, as stated by the American Association of Orthodontists. Many adults choose to pursue treatment because they understand the importance of maintaining a healthy smile, and they want to gain additional confidence in their appearance. With the most advanced technology on the market, there has never been a better time or more options available for treatment.
Signs you may want to See an orthodontist:
- Tooth crowding or improper spacing, possibly causing other dental issues like gum disease or tooth decay.
- Bite coming together incorrectly when the upper and lower teeth meet, or malocclusion.
- Jaw pain, or pressure caused by crooked teeth
- Popping sounds or pain when opening or closing the jaw
- Desire for a healthier mouth and a more confident smile
Adult Orthodontic Treatment Options:
For many adults, the thought of taking impressions or metal braces is enough to prevent them from seeking treatment. However, today's orthodontic treatment technology offers a variety of braces and appliances that are comfortable, aesthetically pleasing, and customized to meet the needs of any lifestyle.
Types of braces:
- Traditional metal braces
- Clear braces
- Ceramic braces
- Self-ligating braces
- Invisible aligners
Adult Treatment vs. Children or Teen Braces
The main difference to remember with adult treatment is that the bones have matured and stopped growing, while in treatment for children and teens they are still developing and changing.
Other differences include:
Incomplete orthodontic treatment — Many adults received partial orthodontic treatment as a child or teen, but never completed treatment. By completing treatment, they can achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they always wanted.
Worn or missing teeth — Teeth tend to shift over time. They can become worn down and move into different positions that can only be corrected with orthodontic care. Spaces or teeth that are missing can cause neighboring teeth to tilt and shift, creating a poorly aligned bite and increase the possibility of gum disease.
Periodontal disease (gum or bone loss) — Adults have a higher risk of gum recession and bone loss due to gingivitis or periodontal disease. Risk of gum disease is reduced by having straight teeth.
Incomplete orthodontic treatment— Many adults received partial orthodontic treatment when they were younger, but never crossed the finish line. Choosing to complete treatment as an adult, is the way to achieve the healthy, beautiful smile they have always wanted.
We recognize that adults have specific needs, and require an elevated level of attention and care. We pride ourselves in working with patients to ensure they receive the most appropriate treatments and that their needs are understood and met with respect.
Reasons to consider orthodontic treatment:
- Smiles build confidence — Whether you're looking for a self-esteem boost or a better quality of life, orthodontic treatment can help give you the freedom to smile without holding back!
- Waiting for treatment can make things worse — Delaying recommended orthodontic treatment can create bigger health issues costing you more in the long run.
- Straight teeth are healthy teeth — Brushing and flossing teeth that are properly aligned is easier and can prevent additional health problems.
Ready to learn more about the possibilities with adult orthodontic treatment? Please contact our practice to schedule an appointment. We know you're busy and will work with you to ensure each visit is as convenient as possible.